Falling Short Of Love

January 6

"Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy;
love does not parade itself, is not puffed up;
does not behave rudely, does not seek its own,
is not provoked, thinks no evil;
does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth;
bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things,
endures all things. Love never fails."

1 Corinthians 13:4-8

For a long time I avoided this chapter because I knew I fell so far short on this. Until ...I came to understand that we ALL fall far short in ALL of God's Word.

The remedy is to confess just how far short we are and to ASK to be filled with
HIS love.

Real love is a gift. It doesn't originate with us. We live in a fallen human nature and that fallen human nature seeks its own, not that of others, and pride will make most of us unable to admit that.

If you think you're "a good person," I challenge you to ask the Lord to show you what's really in your heart. Only HE can reveal that; our fallen human nature, our pride, isn't going to show it to us.

Pray with me:

Father, I know I am self-centered because I live in a fallen human nature and that nature in itself is self-centered. Help me to realize this about myself. Only then can I approach you and ask to be filled with YOUR love, which is the only remedy for our plight. I bow before you empty and ask to be filled, that I someday may be able to read the verse above without the painful recognition that I am devoid of the love you speak of. Let it be no longer me, but let me be filled with YOU. In Jesus's Name, amen.

An excellent sermon on this:


No comments: