Why Do People Love Gossip?

December 8

"The words of a talebearer are like tasty trifles,
and they go down into the inmost body."
Proverbs 26:22

How people love gossip! Stories being spread are like sweet delicacies - but most don't stop to consider that what's being said may not be true and a person's whole reputation can be ruined by a gossiper bearing a false or
exaggerated story.

Why do people love gossip? Isn't it because a story about someone doing wrong makes ME feel better? If so-and-so is stealing, I feel better because I don't steal. If so-and-so is cheating on his/her spouse, it makes me feel better because that's something I'm not doing. The lust for juicy stories of people going wrong always makes us feel better about ourselves if we're not doing what he/she is doing.

But this is only an illusion. We are all sinners, every one of us, and if hearing stories about someone else's sin comforts me because I don't practice that sin, then I am deceived because I'm convincing myself that I'm a better person who would NEVERRRRRR do THAT!

But what if MY sins were being spoken about me? Would I not go into a rage and defend myself? Would I not say that what is being said is an exaggeration? And if what is being said is true, would I not make an excuse to diffuse the accusation?

Oh fools that we are! Gossip is like tasty trifles ...as long as it is about someone else.

Those who belong to Christ are called to a higher place, the place from which we truly care about others as much as we would care about ourselves, the place where hearing gossip would offend me as much as would a story about myself.

"And just as you want men to do to you,

you also do to them likewise."
Luke 6:31


No comments: